EASY AND EFFECTIVE FLY CONTROL

If they don’t become flies, they won’t become a problem for poultry


Larvadex® is a highly selective in-feed solution for fly control, proven to control the larvae of the housefly and other fly species in breeder and layer housing.

The poultry house is a complex ecological system where eggs hatch and larvae grow and develop into pupae. The unavoidable presence of manure and the adaptability of flies mean that these insects will never be fully eliminated.

Only 15 to 20 percent of the fly problem in poultry houses are adult flies — the other 80 percent is a silent army still in the larval stages.1 In fact, there can be more than 7,000 maggots in 1 kilogram of manure.1 What if you could help control the development of flies before they become a problem for your operation? Now you can — with Larvadex.

Larvadex: a novel mode of action

Larvadex is an in-feed insect growth regulator (IGR) for the control of dipterous (fly) larvae that is mixed with feed and fed normally.  The larvicide is metabolized by the birds and left behind in their manure. Larvadex has a novel mode of action – it disrupts the molting process, which is essential for the fly life cycle. It interferes with the chitin metabolism of fly larvae at all 3 stages, 2-4 stopping these larvae from developing, and preventing the proliferation of the fly population.  Additionally, Larvadex has no negative impact on beneficial insects when used according to the label.5

Benefits of Larvadex


• Approved to use with breeders and layers
• Three day withdrawal period
• As a result of fewer flies, birds are healthier and more productive (weight gains and egg quality)
• The easy, convenient application saves time & labor
• Minimal environmental risk when used according to the label

 

Label information

See product package for information about dose and safe use.

Important safety information

The label contains complete use information, including cautions and warnings. Always read, understand and follow the label and use directions.


Directions for Use


• Monitor adult flies in and near the poultry house. When the population reaches a level to cause concern, use a registered adulticide spray or fog to reduce the breeding potential.
• Examine manure in the pits for maggot activity. If maggots are active, start Larvadex 1% Premix in the ration.
• Feed Larvadex 1% Premix continuously as directed for 4 to 6 weeks.
• Usually, this is enough time for Larvadex 1% Premix to thoroughly cover the droppings and break the fly population cycle in the poultry house.
• After a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks of Larvadex 1% Premix feeding, carefully examine the manure pits. If little or no activity is observed in the manure, discontinue Larvadex 1% Premix and continue the sanitary and management program.
• Continue monitoring the manure pits. If maggots become active again, repeat the procedure.
• Discontinue Larvadex during winter months or during periods of low fly pressure (at least 4 consecutive months/year).
• Do not feed to broilers.
• Do not use Neporex® 2SG in conjunction with Larvadex 1% Premix in chickens. If chickens have been fed Larvadex-treated feed, do not apply Neporex 2SG to manure.

1Reece, D. 2014. “Create a ‘low-fly’ zone.” Pig & Poultry Marketing. Spring: 18-19. 

2El-Oshar, M.A; Motoyama, N; Hughes, P.B; Dauterman, W.C. 1985. “Studies on Cyromazine in the House Fly, Musca domestica (Diptera: Muscidae).” J. Econ. Entomol., 78: 1203-1207.

3Mulla, M.S; Axelrod, H. 1983 "Evaluation of Larvadex, a New IGR for the Control of Pestiferous Files on Poultry Ranches." J. Econ. Entomol, 76: 520-524. 

4Awad, T.I; Mulla, M.S. 1984. "Morphogenetic and histopathological effects induced by the insect growth regulator cyromazine in Musca domestica (diptera: muscidae)."J. Med. Entomol.,24:(4): 419-426. 

5Axtell, R.C; Edwards, D. 1983. "Efficacy and Nontarget Effects of Larvadex@ as a Feed Additive for Controlling House Flies in Caged-Layer Poultry Manure." Poultry Science, 62: 2371-2377.

Elanco®, Larvadex®, Neoporex® and the diagonal bar are trademarks owned or licensed by Eli Lilly and Company, its subsidiaries or affiliates.
© 2017 Eli Lilly and Company, its subsidiaries or affiliates.

USPBULVD00001(1)

Fly control in poultry

Looking for other ways to prevent fly infestation in poultry? Consider Neporex® 2SG, a proven fly larvicide for poultry farms. If they don't become flies, they don't become a problem.